As health systems adapt to new ways of working, now is the perfect time to reflect, learn and plan how to improve disclosure of health information. By focusing on enterprise standardization, embedded privacy and security, and essential technologies, we can pave a new path for the future of release of information.
Browse our webinar topics and register below.
Wednesday, August 18, 2021 • 2:00 – 3:00 PM EDT
ROI as the Gatekeeper for Access and Disclosure Management Compliance
Pre-Approved for 1 AHIMA CEU Credit.
Release of Information (ROI) functions as the gatekeeper for access and disclosure of confidential health information. ROI advances patient rights, enforces organizational policy, and complies with federal and state law. The gatekeeper role is more complex today because:
- Health delivery and information systems are more complex
- Request volumes are greater from patients and a range of requestors
- Regulatory ground rules were largely designed for a paper-based health system, and
- Privacy and security are being deliberately and inadvertently put at risk.
This presentation will provide an update on privacy’s evolution through law, policy and attitudes. Recent proposed changes to the HIPAA Privacy Rule will be reviewed and their implications discussed. Approaches for identifying recurring compliance problems that constitute risk will be examined with examples and speakers will recommend mitigation strategies.
As we begin the third decade of the 21st century, privacy and security challenges are increasingly under attack. ROI can and must be proactive in adapting effective gatekeeper methods for access and disclosure of confidential health information.
- To review the context for a stepped up ROI compliance focus,
- To identify the key access, disclosure, and privacy trends that impact ROI practices,
- To align ROI technology and approaches and how they address trends, and
- To offer an action plan to improve ROI compliance.
Michael Salsbury, JD, MBA
Counsel and Privacy Officer
Barbara Carr, RHIA